shepard fairey



ras

ras

ras


ras

ras

ras

ras

gustav dore

our boys

death and burial

wm

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ars Poetica

You can say more complex things with complicated syntax and fifty-cent words. Most of those big words you wouldn't qualify as 'plain speech' but I might need them for their nuance. A blunt hatchet won't slice an onion. The purpose of language (of speech as well--but with only text we must do entirely without inflection. What could possibly mask such a loss?) is nothing if not to allow increasingly refined shades of meaning and intricate mixes of those to simultaneously express their newly synthesized natures, adding, in abundant measure, remembrance, scent, and basic instinct, all to communicate what is within. Which must out. Otherwise, we suffer isolation, and her henchmen loneliness and shame. But O happy event, we are not so deprived.

So that's the why of it. My mandate extends to just-barely readable, at the outside edge of comprehension, as it is for me, of course. And if I run with every flourish that shows a knee, and go some heavy on the cussin,' I am what I am. But I will always do my very best to bring you only the best that I can do. I promise to that.

--R Skogsberg

No comments: